Tuesday, May 01, 2007

One thing at a time....

I have so much to tell you about and not enough space or time to do it! So...as promised I'll give you the rest of our trip then tomorrow I'll show you what I did today!

It's so hard to get a good shot of the fort to show you, I borrowed this one thanks to the Maryland State Parks website.

The reason for our weekend trip was to attend Fort Frederick's annual Market Faire (click here for a little history lesson on the fort). This is an 18th Century event where a reenactor can stock up on supplies needed and/or indulge themselves into the time period. We, knowing the weather conditions of past 3 events we've attended, opted to camp modern and not dress out...I for one don't find it "fun" to be wet (no umbrellas during that time period) while shopping. The rain held out until we were finished shopping and on our way back to the campsite.
Hubby had more on his shopping list than I did, you see--my fabric stash is larger than my fiber/yarn stash, if that tells you anything! And I had other shopping ideas in mind...
At these 18th century events they are VERY strict about time period correctness for attire and impression...I like this because I've seen some real "winners" at events wearing NON-appropriate clothing for a time period. (For instance...modern ballgowns at Civil War events!) This is what they call a "Juried" event in other words, you have to provide a picture of your impression along with registration.




So...in the registration it tells you NO MOUNTAINMEN impressions (as you see that came in the early part of the 19th century...and out West), but this year we saw a different sort of impression...(and I wasn't quick enough with the camera) I saw a PIRATE! Granted this fort is well inland of any seaport...so where did he think he was going? Needed new knee boots?
But I did find this little fella there...
I wanted one of those gold medallions so bad!




Like I said earlier...Robin had other shopping to do!!
After leaving the fort we headed into Hagerstown to hit a couple yarn shops....big surprise huh?
The first one I tried to hit last year but she was closing at the time. When I mapped out the address given it took us into downtown Hagerstown...which by the way is much larger than I thought it was. Hubby asked what street it was on, you should have seen his face...East Baltimore Street...for anyone who knows (and apparently he does--we'll be discussing that later) This street is FAMOUS in Baltimore for it's....it's...."showgirl" bars!! Remember we are in Hagerstown...we find it with no problem, only it's a residence...and not a real appealing one at that! So...I call the shop only to find out it's in Funkstown, just about 5 minutes or so outside of town!

Y2Knit

Very easy to find...after we figured out the address given was wrong (I should have searched for their website before, they have a map-duh)!
The young lady working was very helpful. They had a nice selection of yarns. One I went looking for they had....Cascade Fixation. Since my buddy Bobbi hailed it's praises I decided maybe I should give it a shot.
You would think it's a pretty big shop...but it only had 2 (lower) rooms for yarn. Much smaller selection that I expected just from the outside. Great website by the way!! The owner designs and sells her own patterns, which I bought one!

Next~~I had to return to The Knitting Cottage in Leitersburg (MD)--no website, last year Susan stayed open for me to come shop...she's the Mennonite lady I spoke of. Again, I forgot to get "the official photographer" to get a picture of the shop, it's an old farm house converted into business. Each room holds different yarns, a classroom, a room for machine knitting lessons and packed to the brim with all types of yarns. And of course, I bought yarn here too! I wished I had been able to go, but she was telling me about the field trip they went on as a group to Kraemer Yarns in Nazareth, PA. That's on my list of places to visit!!

Anyway...wanna see my purchases?


Does sock yarn count as "stash enhancement"??? A new magnet for my truck...baby yarn for a blankie...and 1 (yes, just 1) skein of Kraemer Yarn's Vintage Alpaca--I have an idea for it's use.

I did get some knitting done while riding...remember my "thong socks"? One is finished and the other is on it's way to being done, is it just me or does the first sock take forever and the second zips right on by?


















With and without wearing my Chaco's!

Okay...I think I've bored you all enough now! Check back tomorrow for what I did today!

Oh...I almost forgot! I have to welcome a *new spinner* to the flock (pun intended)!
Nikki bought a spinning wheel!!! YeeHaa!!

Keep on Knittin' & Spinnin'!!!

3 comments:

Nikki said...

aw, thanks Robin!

and no, sock yarn doesn't count as stash enhancement from all that I've read :) You'll have to let me know how you like the Fixation. I've made socks with it before.

I like your thong socks. Where did you find the pattern?

and yes, I plan on bringing the wheel with me Thursday! :)

Anonymous said...

That's right...sock yarn does not count as stash enhancement! In our house, at current pace, it may someday be known as "insulation" but never as "stash"!

Now I HAVE to finish the pattern pdf layout for the fixation sock pattern!

Mary said...

Looks like a fun trip, and I love those thong socks! What yarn did you use?