Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Motivation...

I've finally thawed out my fingers so I can type!
This Run-a-go-go thing is....WONDERFUL for my motivation in more ways than one! My friend JH tells me today that her hubby...lets call him CH...is checking my *totals* each day and then asking her where she's at in the running (no pun intended)! He thinks she's going to beat me...because this cold weather is going to bring me to a halt?!?! Mwahahahaha-Mwahahahaha! Guess what Mr CH...cold-blustery wind, headache and all I took a walk today...all be it a short one, but I DID WALK!! I kept watching out the window to see if the winds were calming down...and of course, just when I thought I could make it the d*&m winds start up again...so I shortened it to 3/4 mile. He CH...3/4 is better than no mile!! Not to mention I had lunch with my friend SP and needed to relieve some guilt! Check out my progress HERE--see where I rank against everyone else!!! I'm up there buddy!!

The other motivation is that when I'm walking, especially when I'm alone--usually Mom is with me and we are blabbing the whole time--I can put together my next post! I know I'll come in and post my progress on both my blog and Run-a-go-go site.
Speaking of lunch I have a story to tell...are ya ready? Be prepared long post...you might want to get your tissues...
It's a LOVE story! Valentine's day is coming!

As you all know...if you've been reading for a while...I'm not a *girly-girl* I have many more male friends than female...because I grew up such a tomboy--I just get along better with the guys. I love sports, cars, motorcycles...etc. Now don't get me wrong I do love to dress up on occasions...anyway on with the story. Some of you may know this story already...now...I know he would be really mad at me for doing this so please don't tell him....
I have a very good friend (he's like a brother), who I met when I started Civil War Reenacting (I don't like using their names because they may not like it--just initials) BS who's wife, SS, and I became very good friends. She had been in a horrific car accident, before I met her, that had left her partially handicapped. At our Civil War events we would pal around and I would watch after her when he was on the field during *battle*...she enjoyed her life and tried to live as normal as she possibly could. This couple...you just knew were destined to be together...forever! In October 2000 they renewed their wedding vows in the meadow on their property...a glorious day! As Jack and I were planning our wedding BS & SS were part of it from the start! Our wedding was to be in June (2001).
Fast forward to May 2001...Hubby and I were at the hospital visiting my Dad, who had just had his first knee replacement surgery and listening to the concert taking place in the venue across from the hospital. When my cell phone rings (I don't know exactly why but normally I turn my cell phone off or leave it in the vehicle) it's BS...he had called our house to learn where we were, he said he was in the emergency room and needed us right away. All he said is there had been an accident involving SS...that's all it took--Bye Dad and we were gone.
It's times like these the elevators take forever to get to your floor and you feel as though someone on the d*&m thing has pushed every button...
We arrive to find out that SS had fallen off her horse...now I know you'll ask why someone who was partially handicapped was on a horse--you would have to have known her...she was determined to be normal and live normal! The prognosis was not good...to make a long story short...brain stem injury. This is a very sticky subject and very controversial...I don't think one should judge unless you have been in this situation...This was BS's & her families decision and as a friend I was there to hold him up...She was gone...the family left her on life support for a while hoping there would be some chance she would recover...we all were hoping for this. Tests, tests and more tests. Everyday we were there...talking to her...combing her hair...rubbing her arms...looking for some sign that SS was still with us, and every time a brain scan was done...the same result--negative...no brain activity. The day came when the decision was made...we were there to give her a kiss and say goodbye. No suffering...no pain except for what was in all our hearts. Sometimes the greatest love is letting go...
Jack and I didn't get married that June...we were finally married a year later and BS was still a part of it! In SS's memory I placed a candle and picture of her where she would have stood. Later that year I met someone who...and sometime you just know these things...I knew would be perfect for him...I waited...and waited...and waited until I thought he was ready. And it's funny how things sometimes happen...before I could ask him he said he wanted (his words)"some female company to talk to"...I said "So what am I--chopped liver?" But I knew what he meant...my response--"I have the perfect person for you to meet!" So I set up a date for them to casually run into each other...he was to meet us there but arrived much earlier and much to my surprise--they were already talking and laughing with each other! Their first official date was in May 2005...and they are still together today! In fact, I had lunch with SP today!!! Am I GOOD or what?? I don't make a habit of "setting people up" in fact, this was the first time I had EVER done this sort of thing...but somehow I just knew these two were made for each other. Destiny I say...Destiny! I don't think I'll ever try match make again....once you get it right...no need to try it again! Sometimes I think SS guided this whole thing...because she knew now lonely he was...
He had always said that SS was "The love of his life" but I think SP is his soul mate!
Like Forrest said "Peas & Carrots"! I see the love in their eyes...and knowing what I have in my life...I know what they are feeling!! Jack and I are "Peas & Carrots" too! For this I'm thankful everyday for those in my life...because you never know when you might blink and they'll be gone. Be sure and tell your loved ones (friends & family) everyday how much you love them!

The quote I read at her Memorial service:
"No farewell words were spoken, no time to say goodbye, you were gone before we knew it, and only God knows why..."

Okay...I think I need to go blow my nose...

and

Keep on Knittin', Spinnin' & Walkin"!!

4 comments:

Nikki said...

OK, I've been trying not to cry all day long (after I heard Benny Parsons died) and that just pushed me over the edge...

how sweet!!!

gourdongirl said...

What a "bitter sweet" story. I have tears in my eyes and prolly need to cry today coz my Mum phoned a short while ago to tell me my great aunt died this morning. She was in her 80's and it was expected........but it doesn't make it any easier.

I hope it works out for them.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story! Now I need to go see what this walking thing is all about!

Mary said...

A beautiful story, Robin!