Friday, July 03, 2009

It's Ba-aaack!


Well, it's really no secret that I'm no big fan of it...The Salem Fair is back (my other name for it is "The Freak Show")...in 22 years I've managed to stay away from it for about 18 years!

I really scares me at how fast they put up those rides! They started on Wednesday morning, and finished up Thursday afternoon....just hours before it opened to the public!
When my boys were small I took them, they wanted to ride this ride that, against my better judgement, I allowed them to. I heard that thing pop and it dropped a bit, scared me to death. Needless to say I didn't allow them on anymore rides. They still go on their own today...they just have to bring me cotton candy so I'll know they're okay! (oh, how I love fresh made cotton candy!)

...and there are some truly "freaky" people who attend! The traffic on that side of town is horrendous, you just don't even try! I was a judge one year but they offered no special parking for judges...I felt like I walked forever to get to the judges area!

BUT...if you enjoy crowds, loud and rickety rides...come on--enjoy!! But you have to bring me back some cotton candy!

I shouldn't be such a prude, but it's just one of those things that when you live here and endure all 10 days of it...well, bah-humbug!

Tomorrow we'll be enjoying our annual canoe trip with a couple of our very close friends...peace & quiet, listening to water lap the side of the canoe, do a little fishing and have a picnic along the way. That's my idea of the perfect 4th of July!!

You guys have any special plans?

Keep on Knittin' & Spinnin'!!

3 comments:

SissySees said...

Another thing we have in common... The Knight loves a candied apple, but honestly, I can't think of a single reason to go to a fair. Oh wait - kettle corn!

Enjoy the 4th. Will Rudy be wearing a doggy life vest and riding along?

Becky G said...

I loved fairs when I was a kid, but we usually stayed away from the midway. We looked at the animals, the craft tents, and the equipment and such.

We used to have a county fair, too, but it didn't last but a few years. The first year they had it, a bobcat got into the grounds and killed all the poultry exhibits. After that, they had to have armed guards by the animal exhitibs.

Bubblesknits said...

I remember going to them as a kid, but now the innocence is definitely gone. I see all the random bolts and screws littering the ground under the rides and I can't help but wonder if those were truly extras or if one of those rides is extra wobbly. lol