Saturday, March 14, 2009

Sticks & Stones...


...Sticks & Stones baby!

You can call me crazy, you can call me a fool...you can even call me hardcore!
BUT -- you can't call me a quitter!

As much as I tried to this morning I nearly talked myself out of the race this morning. It all started when RUDY let me sleep too late...I woke up at 7:45, something I NEVER do. The race started at 9:15 and we have about a 20 minute drive depending on traffic to downtown Roanoke. All the way there the rain POUNDED the windshield...and I'm still asking myself -- why? Well I've been training since my last race in November, and since I was in the 4th grade I swore I'd NEVER be called a quitter again (long story)...I registered for this and I wouldn't feel right being a "fair weather" runner, others do it so can I!

As you can see Rudy was there with his Daddy aka "My Photographer"...and so was the rain!

I just told myself I was going for a morning run with a few hundred friends...but that didn't detract from the fact it was cold and WET!


The gal who was standing next to me suggested we just hit Mill Mountain Coffee and hit the finish line about 30 mins later...I was tempted! She said she was asking herself the same thing this morning "am I crazy?" -- as she drove 45 minutes to get here!



The Roanoke Catholic Mascot was there...looks more like a Viking than a Celt! There was a "costume" contest but honestly, how do you run in a costume? I only saw a few people wearing hats & such...one guy who was "scantily clad" with a huge shamrock painted on his nicely sculpted Quad! Other than that I didn't notice anything else!




You can see St. Andrews Catholic Church in the background, growing up in this valley I've always loved this landmark. Coming in on Interstate 581 to downtown this is one of the first things you see. As a child we always called it Cinderella's Castle! It's BEAUTIFUL on the inside too!!



FINALLY! The starter said he didn't bring the gun because he was afraid it wouldn't go off...so it was your standard ..on your mark...get ready...(I think you get the picture)

Running in the rain isn't as easy as I thought it'd be, I'm so glad I had my MP3 player to help me keep my mind focused...the hardest part wasn't rain hitting me in the face it was the "squishy shoes"! I hate "squishy shoes"!!! I did have to walk a couple of times but only for a few steps to regain my focus...but I DID FINISH!!




I should have you guys caption this picture for me!! I know what I'd put....but what about you guys -- what do you think I'm saying?


Oh...so you want to know my time? They haven't posted the official times yet but I think I crossed the line at 31:22...just over 2 minutes better than my November time! Had I not walked those couple of times it would have been even better...damn "squishy shoes"!
I wasn't about to stay for the awards and such wearing wet clothes & "squishy shoes". I'm just SO glad I did this, yet again proving to myself I can do anything I put my mind to!

Thanks for all your comments and good luck wishes, I don't think I could have posted to you today and tell you I didn't make the run...THANK YOU FOR KEEPING ME GOING!

Whew...now I don't have to do the 10K in 2 weeks!


Keep on Knittin' & Spinnin'!!

13 comments:

Nikki said...

I'm so proud of you Robin!!!

Bubblesknits said...

Congratulations on sticking with it!

SissySees said...

You ARE hardcore! (And so is Rudy. Where was his raincoat?) Congrats, and I hope those shoes dry out good as new.

issy said...

I think you are saying " Next time I'll stay home and knit"

Congrats!!

Becky G said...

Congratulations all around! Not only for bettering your time, but for just getting out there in the first place!

Nana Sadie said...

I've very proud of you, I know I would never have made it out the door - it was cold and yucky ALL day!
So you GO, GRRL!!!
(((Hugs)))

Diana said...

Proud to know you and jealous too! What was the race for? I couldn't have braved the cold and wet like that.

Dani said...

Congrats Robin! You are more dedicated than I am!

Anita said...

Congrats!!! Nope, can't call you a quitter! :)

I think you are saying "get me some damn dry shoes!" LOL

Anonymous said...

Great job Sis! I'm so proud of you!!!

Aunt Kathy said...

I am also proud of you. Nice job.

As for the caption??? Nothing is really coming to mind yet, but I've been sick so not as sharp as I'd like to believe I am, lol.

Dianne said...

Congrats..You're #1!!
I'd say you're saying..whew..I finished!!
Squishy shoes would surely slow me down, I can't even walk fast in the rain like it was that day..
Proud of you Robin, you're so inspiring..so much so..that I went back to the Y today..did a pilates and spin class..!!

Rachel said...

Congratulations!!!! Very impressive that you battled the cold and rain and ran anyway! And congrats on your finishing time--that's great to drop your time by 2 minutes. Seriously fantastic!