Thursday, July 03, 2008

145 Years Ago Today


...The ground of Gettysburg ran red.

Some of my ancestors were there...and were fortunate enough to make it home alive, unlike so many others. No...I'm not going to give you a history lesson and bore you to tears.

However,

Tomorrow is the 4th of July...Independence Day, and in my opinion another day to honor those who sacrificed all for our freedom. Now, you all know Hubby and I do Colonial/frontier period but we started with the 19th Century and Civil War reenacting.

This is a picture I took of a friend after Picketts Charge (135th).

Hubby and I both have participated in the reenactment of Gettysburg. I only did it once...and once was enough. That is unless Carole and her Hubby Dale go, then I'd do it again so we can meet up!
At my age, I don't need the crowds...the heat...or the frustration of an event so large. I'll spare you my horror story.
I did not meet my wonderful Hubby there, we wouldn't meet for another year, though I knew his brother for quite some time.



Do you think if he's seen this he would have fallen to his knees then?

This is known as my Scarlet dress.
Yes, it is made from a pair of curtains...I made it! Recognize the color...1970's putrid green, my mother hung on to these curtains because she had them made, at the time they were very expensive so she couldn't bare to just throw them away. And boy am I glad she didn't...even the trim is from the "tassles" that were sewn on the curtains, which the tassles were cut off otherwise I'd look like the interior of a lowrider ! I have to say this is one heck of a heavy dress...and VERY HOT! And don't I look ~HOT~ wearing it, every inch of skin covered! My Mom says I look "like an ole spinster"!

Well....I am a spinner!!!

Happy 4th of July everybody! Hope yours is a good one and be safe!! We're going to take a canoe trip with a couple dear friends, then a cookout at my brothers. What are you going to do?

Keep on Knittin' & Spinnin'!!!

14 comments:

Diana said...

I should have known you were a seamstress as well! History is my favorite subject so you can bore me anytime!
Have a wonderful canoe trip. My guys did that last weekend near Independence on the New River.

Channon said...

Have a great trip. My inlaws have been to the reinactments at G'burg, and my FIL would go every time there is something if he could.

I love history. I love that as I travel through our state, I'm all but assaulted by history. A battlefield here, historic landmark there... I've often thought about writing a children's book series based on a time-travelling youngster who is transported to the most significant moment in history on any given site around the state...

KnitNana said...

What a wonderful photo, and yes I do think he'd have fallen to his knees had he been there!
Great dress, you're very talented!
Happy Fourth!
(((hugs)))

IndigoMuse said...

You look stunning, my dear. Lowrider - heh heh heh! Have a happy fourth and lets plan to get together soon.

Margene said...

Great post about Gettysburg. You look marvelous in your Scarlet dress.

Dana said...

I second Margene. The dress is magnificent and you look wonderful in it. Jack wouldn't have stood a chance. ;)

Dianne said...

I've been there..on this weekend, so I know what you mean about crowds, heat etc..
You look beautiful and I much suspect DH would have felt likewise..Happy, Safe and fun 4th Robin and Jack!

Jeanne said...

OMFSM! You look great!! Did you know that I studied reenactments of all sorts for my dissertation?? Too bad I didn't know you then--I could have included you in the pictures :).

Have a great 4th!

Bobbi said...

To you and yours as well!

Becky said...

Great dress! It looks hot and uncomfortable. I'd hate to have to wear those kinds of clothes every day.

I had an ancestor who fought in the Civil War, too, but I don't think he was at Gettysburg.

(Not-So) Cynical Gal said...

Great dress! Happy 4th.

Carole Knits said...

I've done the big events, including Gettysburg and Antietam and you're right - they aren't worth it! The small local events are so much more enjoyable! Happy 4th!

Bubblesknits said...

Neat pictures! I've always wanted to do something like that. :-)

lilypily said...

What an amazing dress. Even more amazing is that you made it! That's really clever. Yes, you do look hot in it. Bet you wished you had a fan under that hoop. :o)