Saturday, February 17, 2007

IT'S HERE~~IT'S HERE!!!

Think about the movie "A Christmas Story" as you read this:

***FRAGILE***

Is it an award? No, but it feels the same way...tearing open the box...ripping out the paper (picture it flying through the air)...finally~

There it is...in all it's glory...wrapped in plastic (darn...one more thing to rip through)...


My new Mountain Dulcimer (or some call it an Appalachian Dulcimer)! Please bear in mind though I come from a very musical family I was given the gift of craft...not music.
When we walked in Mark Edelman's shop...who, by the way, teaches at John C Campbell School, I knew I would be going home with one, well, I had to wait for a couple days but that's okay. I knew I had one. He had me playing within 5 minutes...it truly is a very easy instrument to play. He told us the history of how the Scotch/Irish immigrants created an instrument that would produce the same *drone* sounds of a bagpipe...I knew I had to have one. A few years ago we visited a dulcimer shop in Meadows of Dan, VA and I really regretted not getting one then...but there was a reason~~this instrument called to me! It's made of spalted curly maple and the picture does it no justice at all! It's BEAUTIFUL! Notice the *birds*?!

I've been sick just about all week and haven't left the house in couple of days...this perked me up! Seriously, I am feeling better...this made me feel that much better!

Thanks to everyone who guessed...I thought I might fool ya!

Only one person came close to guessing what I bought and I think it is because she's from the area and knows from personal experience! My new friend Nancy at the Smoky Mountain Spinnery, she guessed I bought a *hammered dulcimer* close~very close. A hammered dulcimer takes much more skill than I can muster! If you are reading Nancy, I'll have you something in the mail in a couple weeks...when I get back from Hawks Nest!

Well...gotta go mess with it!

Keep on Knittin', Spinnin', Walkin' and....Pickin'!!

12 comments:

gourdongirl said...

Its beautiful......well worth the wait.

Nikki said...

congratulations!! it's very beautiful!

Dianne said...

oh Robin, it's very beautiful!! I have absolutely enough musical ability to turn on the radio..nada mas!! Enjoy and Make Music!!

Marianne said...

Oh aye, I just whapped myself on the forehead again...a dulcimer, of course....and I love the hammer dulcimer...Banish Misfortune...

Congratulations Robin, it's beautiful and...let's see...is there any way you can make a youtube with you playing it? That would be incredible,I would love to listen to you play it.

Ms. Knitingale said...

Dudette--it's absolutelyl breathtaking.....although now I can't stop giggling at the thought of "the major award". You mean you didn't get a lamp in the shape of a lady's leg, too?

Mary said...

That dulcimer is absolutely STUNNING, Robin! I think if I'd been in that shop with you, I would have bought one myself! What a wise purchase -- you'll get decades of enjoyment from it! Next time we get together, you must bring it with you! I'm just drooling over that -- the curly maple, the little doves.... Wow. Just, wow. Yay, you! :-)

Anonymous said...

I have always wanted to learn how to play the hammered dulcimer. Maggie Sansone plays each year at the MD Sheep & Wool. Watching her is nothing short of amazing with those hammers flying. The wood on your dulcimer is very pretty! You will have to put together a U-Tube for us!

Pam! said...

oh purty! I can't wait to hear you play it. Ever been out to Sperryville? John who owns Smokeshouse Winery & B&B has a dulcimer museum and festivals/events quite frequently. The B&B is really cool and he makes wicked french toast. mmmmmmm

Diana said...

Yes, it is very beautiful! I am not musically talented either but have always wished I was. You know I have one of these that I bought at a yard sale! It is in need of total refurbishing. I paid $2!!!! I wonder who could fix it? Then maybe I can learn to play too!
Diana

Nana Sadie said...

How Cool! - I was afraid you were going to go all fibery and never do another thing but..!
;)
So...now I guess I'll have to buy my celtic harp and we'll have a girls band????
lololol!
I know you're going to love your dulcimer...
Can you bring it to knit night and we'll listen to you play?
(((hugs)))

IndigoMuse said...

She's gorgeous. What are you going to name her? So sorry to hear you've been sick. I didn't even know :( Perhaps your new baby can sing you to better health :)

Tanya

Cindy G said...

Oooh! Much, much better than Haggis. Sing a round of "Shady Grove", one of my favorites.