Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Worrisome Wednesday

Sorry for another somber post…

I don’t know if I’ve posted about the fact that my youngest son’s girlfriend (this is the one with the GREAT girlfriend) was accepted to UVA back in December where she will finish up her degree (2 years) then go on to Pharmaceutical school possibly at MCV in Richmond (personally I’m hoping that Radford will open theirs in time…it’s only a rumor right now). This past Monday and Tuesday was moving day for her, of course Chase helped…last night on his way home he called me upset…the realization that for 3 years they had been inseparable…now he will only see her on weekends, when either she will come home or he will go to Charlottesville to visit. From Roanoke it’s a 2 ½ hr trip…one way. The hardest thing for me was not being able to hold him in my arms to comfort him, so I made him pull over and get a drink to calm down. I want so bad to be there for everything but have to remember…he’s grown up now and I can’t always make the boo-boo’s go away.

We all will miss her…but now I have an additional worry—mothers do that you know! No…not about whether their relationship will survive the time apart, they are perfect for each other and very close, in fact, I think it will make them stronger. Hubby and I lived a long distance relationship for 4 (lllloooonnnnnggg) years I know what that pain feels like. No it was after UVA beat Maryland (Wahoo!) in last nights basketball game 48 Hours featured the story of young Taylor Behl, a VCU student who was brutally murdered in Sept 2005…by a man who, in my opinion, lived to prey on young, naive college students. He doesn’t look as old as he IS (38 years old) and, in my opinion, made himself look like *Johnny Depp*…what young girl wouldn’t be fascinated? But he changed his appearance often…if you get a chance read the story. If the link doesn't connect correctly...just Google--Taylor Behl. Her Mom has also written a book about her ordeal titled "Love You More" by Janet Pelesara, I'm debating on whether I want to read it yet...maybe I should let the *worries* subside a little?!

Both my step-daughters live in Richmond and the youngest graduated in 2005 from VCU. It really hits close to home when you KNOW students/young people who are living there! And…Taylor’s body was found in a place that is only 20 minutes from where Hubby is from…it just feels….scary! So what does a worrying mother do after watching this…dream, dream and dream…all night long…not good ones either! I know that Jess is older than Taylor was attending her first year of college but the worry is still there…

But the good news is that Chase has decided to go take College courses himself…since he will have plenty of time on his hands…and get his Business Management degree! Yippee…something I’ve waited on for several years now! So there are good things….and worrisome things, but it will all turn out for the good…I have to believe that.

I know he won’t read this but…”Mommy says it’ll be okay!”

I'll have to take me a nap this afternoon....after my walk...since I didn't get much sleep last night!

Keep on Knittin', Spinnin' & Walkin'!!

6 comments:

Leslie Shelor said...

Things that happen so close to home are frightening; I guess we tend to think that bad things only happen to people in really large cities and forget how vulnerable we all are. But most of the time everyone is OK, and we just have to have faith that things will work out fine. Best wishes to all!

gourdongirl said...

Mums worry no matter what. She sounds a sensible girl and I'm sure everything will be fine. But that doesn't help with the worry. We always think things like this happen in large cities, it just makes it worse when it happens so near to home. I'm sure Chase will be fine too!

You are all in my prayers.

Nana Sadie said...

There's no way to keep bad things from happening to good people...we just have to trust that whatever happens is a part of the "plan." And keep on loving.
(((hugs)))

Birdsong said...

It is so hard not to internalize and personalize these stories, and often they do hit close to home. I just have to keep praying that the awful things won't happen, and reminding my (adult) kiddos to stay the course... eldest son is going to a trade show in Las Vegas next week with his job and I could joke and say "I better not get a call from a bail bondsman", but they all know that I am there hoping the best for them and reminding them to stay away from trouble. Hope you sleep better tonight.

somebunnysloveDOTcom said...

I remember during my first year out of VA Tech that a girlfriend from the fencing team disappeared when she accepted a ride from a stranger back to her friends out at the New River. The whole episode brought constant chills up and down my back until her body was found years later. Nowadays we can only hope that our girls keep their heads straight and not trust everyone who seems "okay" looks-wise.
=:8

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.